Fermented Foods, Free-From Staples & Treats
This fun, lively food workshop and tasting day shows you how to make a wide range of fabulous fermented foods and sublime free-from staples and treats to help you, your family and friends eat for better gut health, brain health, general wellbeing and to enhance everyday quality of life. If you’re on a free-from diet and feel like you’ve lost your food mojo, expect it back va va voom!
The morning focuses on fermented foods, led by Janice Clyne – fermented foods expert, food scientist and plant-based health educator. Janice will show you how to make a wide range of taste bud tantalising summer ferments, including coconut kefir, fermented drinks, veggies, dips, vinegars, dressings and salads.
The afternoon focuses on free-froms, led by Sonnda Catto – nutritionist and Le Cordon Bleu-trained, award-winning baker. Sonnda will show you how to make gourmet, free-from versions of two of life’s most important staples – bread and milk – plus a decadent treat. Pulling from careers in health and the culinary arts, her own personal free-from journey and a boundless passion for food, Sonnda will share how to make a free-from diet a pleasure and joy!
In addition to all recipes and abundant tasting, you’ll take away a range of skills that you can apply at home, unleashing your personal creativity in the kitchen.
See Course Content for full details of the recipes covered.
Who is this course foR?
This course is ideal for you if:
- You want to improve your health
Your gut affects every system of your body: digestion, brain function, metabolism, hormones, sleep, skin. This course will be of benefit whether you have an ailment of one of these systems, or simply want to optimise your overall health and wellbeing.
- You have any dietary restrictions:
- You’d like to improve your brain health
Recipes in the afternoon will touch on eating for optimal brain health. This aspect of the course will be of interest if you suffer from poor concentration, brain fog, forgetfulness and stress or you wish to reduce your risk of cognitive decline later in life.
- You simply love food and fancy expanding your repertoire in the kitchen (no health issues or dietary restrictions required!).
The course is suitable for all diets: conventional, vegetarian, vegan, paleo, paleo-ketogenic, anti-inflammatory, alkaline.
10am-1pm Fermented foods for gut health
- Coconut kefir (and a chance to try it in smoothie bowls) (gf, grf, df, sf, p, pk)
- Summer fermented drinks: kombucha, water kefir (gf, grf, df, p, pk)
- Summer fermented veggies (e.g. radish bombs; sweetcorn relish; guacamole; salsa; pineapple, ginger and turmeric kraut (gf, grf, df, sf, p, pk)
- Summer fermented dips, vinegars, dressings and salads (gf, grf, df, sf, p, pk)
Includes various dishes from the day – bread, a selection of fermented goodies, a range of homemade kombuchas and water kefirs, free-from dessert
2-5pm Free-from staples and treats (that taste great, free-from diet or not!)
- ‘Brain bread’: Vegetable, activated multiseed, almond and quinoa bread. A truly wonderful, gluten-free, even grain-free bread with no less than 13 ingredients to boost brain health! (gf, grf, df, sf, p, pk)
- A selection of sublime plant mylks, delicious on their own, in drinks and desserts, e.g. salted cashew and vanilla, pistachio, pumpkin seed, black sesame (gf, grf, df, sf, p, pk)
- Treating yourself on a free-from diet – Double cacao, beetroot and raspberry, plus a few flavour variations (gf, grf, sf, p, pk). Possibly the fudgiest brownies ever, yet so quick and simple to make! The original recipe includes butter, but Sonnda will share several different options for making them dairy-free too.
Times are approximate to allow some go-with-the-flow on the day.
Course learning & skills acquired
In addition to all the dishes and recipes covered, you’ll also learn:
- How fermented foods improve gut health (probiotics and prebiotics)
- The connection between gut health and digestive symptoms, brain function, metabolism, hormones, sleep, skin, overall health and wellbeing
- How to make your own nut, seed, pseudograin and grain flours
- How to activate and dehydrate nuts and seeds, plus the associated health benefits
- Some of the science behind eating for brain health
- Written recipes and their nutritional composition
- Preferred brands and suppliers
- Lots of little professional baking/chef tips and trade secrets along the way
Janice and Sonnda will demo each recipe, with the chance for participants to muck in here and there. There will be abundant tasting opportunities throughout the day, giving you exposure to a wide range of foods so that you know which ones you like and don’t like, saving time and money in the future.
Janice Clyne, BSc (Hons), MSc
Former food scientist and biochemist specialising in food and drink research, Macrobiotic Health Coach and Permaculture Design Award winner, Janice founded Nourished by Nature to unite her expertise in science, agriculture/growing, food and health. Also a passionate food blogger and massive foodie, Janice has become a highly respected expert in fermented foods and drinks. Prepared in the traditional way, these probiotic foods are the key to vibrant good health; on every level.
Janice shares her vast knowledge through fun and inspiring workshops, empowering clients to confidently make fermented foods and drinks at home, improving their health while discovering a whole new world of amazing flavours! An advocate of a plant-based organic diet, key to her approach is the belief that we can all make a very positive difference to our lives and health through the foods we choose and their provenance.
Sonnda Catto, BSc (Hons), MPH
Nutritionist and Public Health Scientist with 20 years’ experience at the forefront of health research in Scotland, Sonnda is also an award-winning chef. Frustrated by public health’s focus on what not to eat versus what to eat, she retrained at the UK’s top culinary school, Le Cordon Bleu London, worked under some of the best names in the food industry (Pierre Gagnaire, William Curley, Maggie Austin, at the Blythswood Square Hotel) including at Michelin-starred level, founded luxury food business, Hautecake by Sonnda Catto, before coming full circle to blend both areas of expertise: healthy, fabulous food. She is currently in-house nutritionist at Ludo’s Primal Wellness.
Living on a free-from diet can be challenging. No one understands that better than Sonnda. Diagnosed with ME in 2016, she combined her health knowledge, culinary skills and ardent passion for food to eat her way back to wellbeing. She adopted a gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, even grain-free diet, but anything less than loving her food was not an option!! Sharing her wealth of knowledge and experience, Sonnda will show you how to make a free-from diet a pleasure and joy!
Saturday 7th July 2018
Future dates to be confirmed.
In Janice’s lovely home, a bright, calming space looking out onto the garden:
16 Forrestfield Crescent, Newton Mearns, Glasgow, G77 6DZ.
Or call Sonnda on 07932 725784
Good to know
Arrival at 9.45am for 10am start prompt
Please check you have read our cancellation and refund policy before booking
Price includes lunch plus drinks throughout the day
Easy parking outside
Bring an apron and a selection of tubs and jars with tight-fitting lids to take away spoils from the day